Sunday, July 12, 2009

Netbooks and Smartphones do not mix

I am one of 'em, the geeks who will someday rule the earth - or what is left after global warming and all the disasters do their thing. Just like any other geeks, I tend to check out the latest technologies available out there and if within budget, I try to get one - if not, I ask my TechNews editor if I can review one. :)

Anyway, a friend of mine posted a brilliant article on netbooks and I could not help but post own take on it - instead of posting a comment or a tweet.

Just like the author, I, too, got a netbook when it became available. Well, my first crack was a review unit from Asus (Eee PC) and was impressed with it that I thought of getting my own. I was fortunate enough to be gifted with one, too. So with access to these devices, I can say that I pretty much know netbooks. And oh, I also tried the Sony VAIO P when it was released. Today, there is an MSI Wind netbook in the house, used by the kids.

If you purchase a netbook expecting to crunch hundreds of columns of spreadsheet figures, or to play the latest first-person-shooter, or to render videos, then you might be in for a disappointment. Sure, a netbook can probably handle these tasks, but will perform poorly. But if you expect to use a netbook to chat or catch up on emails while at a cafe, take notes during class, write a short report or letter while at the library, or check up on recipes online while at the kitchen, then these will perform satisfactorily or even wonderfully. It’s all about expectations.


If you have a smartphone, netbooks seem to be a redundant device. It is too underpowered to do all your computing needs and too large to carry in your pocket. My iPhone seems to provide me with almost everything I need from a netbook, except the convenience write lengthy articles for my weekly column.

A netbook is a device that provides you with an internet connection at a small form factor - so does the iPhone. The netbook allows you to surf the internet, read and write e-mail and connect to your social networking sites, just like the iPhone. Two things that the iPhone can't do efficiently are [1] do video chat (which I rarely do) and [2] edit long documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

Google mail

The iPhone, otoh, can take photos (and now videos) and make and receive phone calls, has a GPS, do SMS and MMS and it can fit in your pocket! :) Don't say that the VAIO P fits in the pocket, believe me it does, if you are 6'5"! Besides, the VAIO P's keyboard is so tiny that you'd prefer not to use it!

So, when I need to check my e-mail whilst on the go, the iPhone serves its purpose. When I need to google something, it can do the trick. Need a photo taken, no problem. Share the photo even if you don't have access to wifi, simple! :) Take notes - why not? Heck, I can even blog!

Wordpress iPhone Client

What I am saying is that if you have a smartphone, a netbook might not be a good device to have. Your smartphone may very well provide you with the experience from the 'net' side and a full, lightweight, laptop can handle the 'book' experience of netbooks. However, nothing beats the PRICES of these netbooks! :P

Yes, netbooks are not for me. Who knows? It might change when I review the Sony VAIO W or if Apple releases a similar device.

How about you - what is your take on netbooks?

No comments: