Monday, October 18, 2010

Dropped Calls?

This afternoon, I was in a meeting when my Nexus One, running Froyo+ (2.2.1), suddenly rang. I swiped to answer and placed the phone near my ear. I said 'Hello' several times, until I figured out that the other party couldn't hear me - and yes I could hear her. I checked the display and there it was - the phone application crashed! Of all the applications that need to be stable on a mobile phone, the phone functionality should be impervious to any of these bugs. Unfortunately, this is not the case on Android.

I remember people complaining about the iPhone dropping calls, which is both a function of the phone design as well as the mobile network. However, I have yet to encounter an instance when the phone crashed on a production OS - experienced this with beta releases of the iOS running on the iPhone.

It was disappointing to have experienced these basic applications crash on the Android. I remember encountering the SMS application to crash as well. Oh well.

No comments: