Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why I think NOT...

A week to go until the Philippines decides who will lead it for the next 6 years. I think I have been vocal enough not to support one particular candidate - a candidate who never aspired to be a president until a younger sister, in a style that can only be seen in showbiz, took advantage of the media coverage, which was meant as a tribute and last respect for their much-loved and revered mother, former President Corazon Aquino, to push him to run. I respect my friends who support this particular candidate - if they believe he can make the country better, then so be it. Unfortunately, there are just some reasons that I honestly think are not valid enough for Noynoy to earn their votes.

This particular Facebook entry, "Why I am Voting and Supporting Noynoy", outlines four points. I can't reply to the post because I do not know the person, but a friend cited it on his Facebook status, so here I am responding.

1. "The battle against corruption". The highlight is the 9-years of corruption done by the current administration. Whilst I am not saying that the current administration is perfect, corruption has been there even during the time of President Corazon Aquino. Noynoy was old enough to do something to curb corruption when his mother was president - if he really wanted to do something, but what did he do then? Why is taking this stance now - only when trying to please the masses to get their votes?

Even if Noynoy is dead serious about ending corruption, are those behind him with him? The same traditional politicians are behind him in his party. I'd give him more respect (and in fact, could have supported him) if he bolted out of his party and ran as independent. What scares me the most are those people behind him - giving him advice, whilst protecting their interests. This happened with his mother before and I am 100% sure it will happen again. Where else will Noynoy owe his victory besides the people? The party, of course. And how will he return the favor to the party? Keeping the interests of the traditional politicians intact and protected. Tell me - who among his supporters never once held power that could have done something to reduce corruption? Weren't they in power before, and yet done nothing against corruption? What made you sure that they will this time?

2. "The collective respect and trust from his peers, the people, and investors". Each candidate has these. These are not unique to Noynoy. And judging from the fact that we are not on the same side says that Noynoy does not have a monopoly on respect and trust from the people. Again, it is not Noynoy per se, I am sure he is a good guy, but everyone else around him.

3. "Noynoy's achievements live up to his advocacies". One question - how many of his bills turned into a law? If he cannot rally his peers in Senate and Congress to support his bills, how can he do the same for his government? Will he rely on people around him? tsk tsk

4. "Noynoy, I believe, is the only one who can rebuild our international image after after (sic) so so so many years". Noynoy only became known internationally after his mother's death, unfortunately, and only when he was convinced that he has the vote of the majority. Think of it this way, if there is a particular presidential candidate, except for Erap (who's a disgrace!), who has international exposure by doing good works, it definitely is not Noynoy.

To my friends, we agree to disagree. Take this as a way to ask you to enlighten me as to why you think he is the best one for our country.

No comments: