Friday, February 5, 2010

Back on Location

A few days ago, I decided to delete all the location-based applications on my iPhone. I figured that I was giving too much info -- enough for a potential criminal to track me. However, I did not delete my accounts on Gowalla, FourSquare and BrightKite.

After several days of thinking, I decided to enable it again. However, I am now making sure that only a select friends can view my location. Posting it on Twitter and/or Facebook will be done selectively -- only when I feel like broadcasting it to the rest of the world.

Why? Well, I figured that I'd help map the points of interests in places that I visit. That way, the map will be filled with useful information -- allowing others to benefit from it. For example, if I check-in to a particular restaurant, I can post my rating and/or recommendation, so others will know if it is worth their time and money.

Imagine an entry that goes -- if you are thinking of going to Kanin Club at the UP Ayala Technohub, I'd say go there ONLY when you have lots of time to spare. The food is great, at affordable prices, BUT the service sucks! Waiters there do not know how to wait on tables. You need to call their attention to have them refill your glass with water. Also, it takes ages to prepare your food. Average waiting time for your food to be served, 40 minutes! It sucks! I thought it was a one-time thing when our family went there for dinner last December, but it's standard service for them since we went there for lunch last Monday. This is an example of a possible entry you will find -- oh, this is a VALID review! :)

So, if you still haven't jumped the gun on the location-based services, I'd say GO FOR IT and help map our country - highlight the best places for everyone to see.

No comments: