Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Going back to the dark side

Last week, a couple of students of mine asked me if I ever used any of the Microsoft operating systems at all -- since I mostly use Linux and Mac OS X today. I answered that I used to have Windows XP running on an Athlon-based PC for my software development and gaming. This question, however, made me re-think my decision to stay away from Microsoft software.

After careful consideration, I am now going back to the Dark Side. Why? Here are my reasons:

1. MSDN Academic Alliance - now that I can get Microsoft OS and development tools for free, there is no reason to use a free OS like Linux anymore.

2. Peripherals - how many times did I find myself wishing for a manufacturer to release a Mac or Linux version of a particular device? Case in point, Livescribe's Pulse Pen did not come with a Mac or Linux version of their desktop app then (at least now they have a Mac version).

3. Secure - with Windows 7 soon to be released, it will be the most secure OS available out there. Have you heard of Windows 7 being hacked? NO! And it is already out in beta for quite awhile, right?

4. Netbooks - I have an MSI Wind and to get all the functionality to work, i.e. camera, audio, special keys, it needs to run Windows!

5. Less tweaking needed - this is what gives me a pain in the you know what whenever I use Linux. I don't mind the command-line but c'mon, having to do a lot of tweaking just to be able to do something that only takes a few clicks on Windows - no brainer!

6. Cheap hardware - oh, I do miss figuring out what particular computer component driver is at fault whenever the computer hangs -- this is what being a computer scientist means, right? How can Lauren be wrong, right?

7. Great community - where else can you find a company that sends you to overseas trips so you'd be familiar with their technology? I'm here - yoohoo!

8. Third party software - who has the greatest collection of software in the market today? Don't get me started on games! :)

So, good-bye Mac! Good-bye Linux! Welcome back, Windows!

2 comments:

Jon Doblados said...

LOL. I'm so gullible, I almost thought of resuscitating a windows partition as an add-on activity later tonight, but seeing that it's April 1 this side of the planet, I caught myself just in time. ^_^

Anonymous said...

(Belated) Happy April Fools Day, Sir. :)